Insomnia is the inability to fall asleep or maintain sleep
Common causes include:
- traumatic events -such as the death or illness of a loved one etc
- Ill health & medications
- Noise, light & heat
- Work shift patterns
Other causes of insomnia include:
- Caffeine use
- Pain and discomfort
- Depression and anxiety
- Others such as restlessness.
Harmful effects of insomnia:
The effects are much but we will pick a few.
- Increased risk of health problems
- Reduced focus & attention
- Higher chances of falls
- Anxiety and grumpiness
- Accidents etc.
SOLUTIONS FOR SLEEPLESSNESS
- Sleep at the same time everyday: This will help programe your body to sleep and wake roughly the same time daily
- Make ur room tidy: a clean room and bed, will ultimately promote sleep. “Dirtiness is next to sleeplessness”.
- Create the environment: the light, temperature, noise, mood etc all work hand in hand. A quiet environment, moderate temperature and light promotes sleep.
- Avoid caffeine: Avoid it especially towards the evening if you plan to sleep at night. Unless you want to do wake keep
- Don’t worry about things you can solve that night: its often a habit to start staring at the ceiling when it’s time to sleep. Just avoid doing this. This will only keep you up all through the night, and make you sleepy during the day.
- Get up if sleep refuses to come: as contradictory as this sounds, yes get up and do something that will make you fall asleep. Read a boring book, watch a boring movie etc.
Sleep usually starts coming closer during boring conversations, movies or meetings
- Avoid exercise towards bed time: yes exercise helps promote sleep, but this benefit comes hours later.. so if u exercise at 8pm, don’t expect to sleep off by 8:30pm or even 9pm.
The immediate pains that comes with exercise will make sleeping uncomfortable.
- Music works as well: this is my go to. Music helps me a lot but sometimes it can keep me awake. If you’re a music analyst, this is not for you because you’ll stay awake all night analysing the song.
- Don’t use your bed for anything other than sleep and sex
- Don’t forget to take your prescribed medications regularly and when due.